Slide Slide Slide

Energy Assistance Program

If you are experiencing difficulty paying your heating and electric costs, the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) may be able to help you. BI-CAP has three programs that serve households with different needs.

PRIMARY HEAT:  Heating assistance is available to households who rent or own, whose income is at or below 60 percent of the state median income. The assistance you receive pays a portion of home energy and heating costs. Grants are based on household size, gross income, and the previous year’s energy costs. Grants are paid directly to your energy providers.

CRISIS PROGRAM: Households experiencing a heating or electric emergency may be eligible for additional crisis assistance. You must be approved for energy assistance and a primary heat grant does not resolve the situation.

ENERGY RELATED REPAIR (ERR):  ERR funds are available to homeowners experiencing a life threatening situation or a no-heat emergency due to a malfunctioning or nonfunctioning heating system. You must be approved for energy assistance to qualify for this program. Proof of ownership is required.

Energy Assistance Program Makes a Difference

“My husband and I are extremely grateful to have been able to receive assistance and a new furnace. When our furnace went out we had no idea what to do or where to turn. Our hearts are full of gratitude to have had the Energy Assistance Program and staff meet our emergency need.” 

– 2021 EAP recipient

Am I Eligible?

Households must apply by May 31, 2022 to receive assistance.

Energy Assistance Program Facts:

  • Renters and homeowners are eligible.
  • Assets such as the home are not considered in determining eligibility.
  • Grants range from $300 to $2,000, based on household size, income, & fuel cost.
  • In addition to the initial grant, additional Crisis funds are available to:
    • Help pay a past due bill or get an emergency fuel delivery.
    • Help homeowners get their broken furnace repaired or replaced.

How has Energy Assistance helped you?

“I have a good job and make fair money. However, it’s still not enough to make ends meet. Because of the EAP I was able to keep my daughter warm. During this winters cold snap I drained my savings keeping my older mobile home warm. I was unsure how I was going to afford a few more months of propane. Because I was approved, we didn’t have to get cold or suffer. It was such a blessing to be warm.”


-2021 Energy Assistance Recipient