Energy Assistance Program
If you are experiencing difficulty paying your heating and electric costs, the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) may be able to help you. BI-CAP has three programs that serve households with different needs.
Primary Heat: Heating assistance is available to households who rent or own, whose income is at or below 50 percent of the state median income. The assistance you receive pays a portion of home energy and heating costs. Grants are based on household size, gross income, and the previous year’s energy costs. Grants are paid directly to your energy providers.
Crisis Program: Households experiencing a heating or electric emergency may be eligible for additional crisis assistance. You must be approved for energy assistance and a primary heat grant does not resolve the situation.
Energy Related Repair (ERR): ERR funds are available to homeowners experiencing a life threatening situation or a no-heat emergency due to a malfunctioning or nonfunctioning heating system. You must be approved for energy assistance to qualify for this program. Proof of ownership is required.
How to get started and apply for assistance:
1. If you don’t live in Beltrami or Cass County, find your Energy Assistance Provider here. Energy Assistance Provider Search
2. If you do live in Beltrami or Cass County, complete the FY2020-21 Application. (At Right, Under “Resources.”)
3. Provide the proof of any and all household gross income per application requirements.
4. Include a copy of your primary heat and electric bills.
5. Return the application to the Energy Assistance Provider. Contact information is listed on the first page of the application.
Am I eligible?
Households must apply between October 1st and July 1st to receive assistance.
Energy Assistance Program Makes a Difference
“The energy assistance program was able to help me stay financially stable. My home does not keep heat well, as it is old, and I am doing my best to update it as much as I financially can. Without this assistance program, I would have either been really cold, or going in the red financially!”
– 2020 EAP recipient
Contact BI-CAP: (218) 751-4631
Our Energy Assistance staff is here to help with your questions. Due to COVID-19 precautions, doors are currently closed to the public. We are receiving phone calls Monday-Friday, from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm. Toll Free: 800-332-7161.